Starting from Scratch: Memoirs of a Wandering Cook
- Regular price
- Sale price
A captivating memoir from a cook who's traveled across the globe cooking, tasting, and enjoying good food.
Patty Kirk has always loved food: eating it, cooking it, sharing it, talking about it. At six, she scrambled the last of the family's vacation provisions over the camp fire and concocted a delicacy-eggs with bacon and onions. Overnight she became the family cook and discovered a lifelong passion for cooking that accompanied her through decades of roaming and finally to the farm in Oklahoma where she now lives. Starting from Scratch narrates Kirk's wanderings in the U.S. and abroad from a culinary perspective, sounding the spiritual, political, and emotional depths of Brillat-Savarin's famous observation, "Tell me what you eat; I'll tell you who you are." In this candid and engaging food memoir---complete with recipes!---good food beckons from the past as well as the future: surrounding us, eluding us, drawing us, defining us.
- Contributor(s)Patty Kirk
- About the Contributor(s) Patty Kirk is the author of Confessions of an Amateur Believer. She is Writer in Residence and an adjunct associate...Patty Kirk is the author of Confessions of an Amateur Believer. She is Writer in Residence and an adjunct associate professor of English at John Brown University. She has an MFA in creative writing from the University of Arkansas and has taught and/or studied in Berlin, Beijing, Hong Kong, Boston, New Orleans, and Irvine, California. She and her family live on a farm in eastern Oklahoma. show more
- Publish Date11/11/2007
- PublisherThomas Nelson
- Format eBook
- Weight (lbs)0.0 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)0.0 lb
- Dimensions 1.0(h) x 1.0(w) x 1.0(d) inches
- Price $3.49
eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- To access your eBooks, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly in your browser by creating a Glose account using the same email address you use to purchase the eBooks.
- eBooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on this site, click here for our FAQs.