Nelson's Compact Series: Compact Bible Dictionary
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Nelson's Compact Bible Dictionary is an accurate and thorough A-to-Z resource.
- Complete with teaching outlines to make lesson and sermon preparation easier.
- Contributor(s)Ronald F. Youngblood , F. F. Bruce , R. K. Harrison
- About the Contributor(s) Dr. Ronald Youngblood is a graduate of Valparaiso University (BA), Fuller Theological Seminary (BD), and the Dropsie College for Hebrew...Dr. Ronald Youngblood is a graduate of Valparaiso University (BA), Fuller Theological Seminary (BD), and the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning (PhD). He has served as professor of Old Testament at Bethel Seminary in St. Paul, Wheaton Graduate School, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and Bethel Seminary in San Diego, and is currently serving in the same capacity at International College and Graduate School in Honolulu. He is an associate editor of the NIV Study Bible; author of 1 and 2 Samuel in the Expositor's Bible Commentary series; and a co-translator and co-editor of the Holy Bible, New International Version. He has also edited and/or written ten other volumes, including Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary, for which he was awarded the Gold Medallion Book Award by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association. He serves as chairman of the board of directors of International Bible Society and frequently engages in preaching and teaching ministries at home�
F.F. (Frederick Fyvie)Bruce was born in October the 12th, 1910, in Elgin (Scotland), to a Brethren Assemblies family. His father was an itinerant preacher for the Assemblies. F.F. was baptized and accepted as a member of his local congregation in September 1928. He remained loyal to his denomination for the rest of his life. “Through my own experience with the Brethren, I can say they are the ideal place where a lay theologian can serve the Church with his gifts” (Restrospect, p. 285).
As a lover of the Biblie and of the classical languages, when he was only 10 years old, he started simultaneous studies in Greek and Latin. F.F. was admitted to Aberdeen University in October 1928. He studied also in University of Cambridge (England, 1932-34) and in the University of Vienna (Austria, 1934-35), studying in preparation for his Graduation and Doctoral degree, excelling in both.
Bruce taught Greek in the Universities of Edinburgh (1935-38) and Leeds (1938-47). Afterwards, he taught Bible History and Literature in the University of Sheffield (1947-59) followed by Bible Criticism and Exegesis in the University of Manchester (1959-78).
He lectured in prestigious universities all around the world: Marburg (Germany), Amsterdam (The Netherlands), Auckland (New Zealand), and Makerere (Uganda). He also lectured in numerous Theological Seminaries, among them the Calvin Seminary, in Grand Rapids (U.S.A.) and the Union Seminary, in New York City (U.S.A.).
He was voted President by the prestigious Societies of Old Testament Studies and New Testament Studies.
F.F. Bruce wrote some 50 books, plus several thousand articles, essays and reviews. His masterpiece The Acts of the Apostles: The Greek Text with Introduction and Commentary (1951) marked for the evangelical world the beginning of a new era in Bible study, being seriously considered by the Academia. In spite of never having made formal studies in Theology, he was an extraordinary reader of the subject and the Aberdeen University granted him in 1957 a Doctor Honoris Causa degree in Divinities.show more
- Publish Date10/10/2004
- PublisherThomas Nelson
- Format Softcover
- Weight (lbs)1.2 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)28.78 lb
- Dimensions 7.13(h) x 4.5(w) x 1.75(d) inches
- Price $10.49
eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- To access your eBooks, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly in your browser by creating a Glose account using the same email address you use to purchase the eBooks.
- eBooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on this site, click here for our FAQs.