Why You Say It: The Fascinating Stories Behind over 600 Everyday Words and Phrases
- Regular price
- Sale price
Are you more likely .. .
to take the bull by the horns or beat around the bush? Don’t let anyone call you on the carpet for failing to put your best foot forward. That would be a bitter pill to swallow. In the long run, it’s easier to just bite the bullet and get your ducks in a row. After all, nobody likes the taste of humble pie.
You’ve likely uttered at least one of these adages within the last week, but have you ever stopped to consider where such conversational staples originated? Why You Say It reveals the backstory of more than six hundred words and phrases that pepper our everyday dialogue. This catalog of our language’s most colorful expressions delivers an illuminating read for anyone curious about the evolution of words.
- Contributor(s)Webb Garrison
- About the Contributor(s) Webb Garrison, formerly associate dean of Emory University and president of McKendree College, wrote more than 55 books, including Civil...Webb Garrison, formerly associate dean of Emory University and president of McKendree College, wrote more than 55 books, including Civil War Curiosities and Civil War Trivia and Fact Book. Before his death in 2000, Garrison lived in Lake Junaluska, North Carolina. show more
- Publish Date03/16/2010
- PublisherThomas Nelson
- Format Softcover
- Weight (lbs)0.78 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)28.1 lb
- Dimensions 8.38(h) x 5.5(w) x 1.0(d) inches
- Price $10.49
eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- To access your eBooks, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly in your browser by creating a Glose account using the same email address you use to purchase the eBooks.
- eBooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on this site, click here for our FAQs.