The Girl in the Painting
- Regular price
- Sale price
A young prodigy in need of family. A painting that shatters a woman’s peace. And a decades-old mystery demanding to be solved.
Orphan Jane Piper is nine years old when philanthropist siblings Michael and Elizabeth Quinn take her into their home to further her schooling. The Quinns are no strangers to hardship— having arrived in Australia as penniless immigrants, they now care for others as lost as they once were.
Despite Jane’s mysterious past, her remarkable aptitude for mathematics takes her far over the next seven years, and her relationship with Elizabeth and Michael flourishes as she plays an increasingly prominent part in their business.
But when Elizabeth reacts in terror to an exhibition at the local gallery, Jane realizes no one knows Elizabeth after all—not even Elizabeth herself. As the past and the present converge and Elizabeth’s grasp on reality loosens, Jane sets out to unravel Elizabeth’s story before it is too late.
From the gritty reality of the Australian goldfields to the grand institutions of Sydney, this compelling novel takes us on a mystery across continents and decades as both women finally discover a place to call home.
Praise for The Girl in the Painting:
“Deeply researched. Emotional. Atmospheric and alive. . . Tea Cooper transports the reader to a sweeping landscape of turn of the twentieth century Australia—from the raw realities of the Australian goldfields to the sophisticated institutions of Sydney—and does so with an expert pen. Combining characters that are wonderfully complex with a story spanning decades of their lives, The Girl in the Painting is a triumph of family, faith, and long-awaited forgiveness. I was swept away!” —Kristy Cambron, award-winning author of The Paris Dressmaker and the Hidden Masterpiece novels
- Stand-alone novel with rich historical details
- Book length: 100,000 words
- Also by this author: The Woman in the Green Dress
- Includes discussion questions for book clubs and historical note from the author
- Contributor(s)Tea Cooper
- About the Contributor(s) Tea Cooper is an award-winning, bestselling author of Australian historical fiction. In a past life she was a teacher, a...
Tea Cooper is an award-winning, bestselling author of Australian historical fiction. In a past life she was a teacher, a journalist, and a farmer. These days she haunts museums and indulges her passion for storytelling. Visit her online at TeaCooperAuthor.com; Instagram: @Tea_Cooper; Twitter: @TeaCooper1; Facebook: @TeaCooper; Pinterest: TeaCooperAuthor.show more
- Publish Date03/09/2021
- PublisherThomas Nelson
- Format Softcover
- Weight (lbs)0.65 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)23.41 lb
- Price $12.59
eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- To access your eBooks, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly in your browser by creating a Glose account using the same email address you use to purchase the eBooks.
- eBooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on this site, click here for our FAQs.