Sign Language for Everyone: A Basic Course in Communication with the Deaf
- Regular price
- Sale price
"Listen with your eyes . . .
Sign Language is a method of presenting thoughts via pictures made with one's hands."
People are adaptable. This trait is particularly useful when one of the five senses is weakened and another becomes more acute to compensate for the weakness. So the deaf, when they hear, hear with their eyes. To communicate to the deaf, then, is to translate the speech of the hearing world into the pictures of the seeing world.
"It is an amazing truth that Dr. Cathy Rice has had more influence on the ministry to the deaf, through her teaching of Sign Language and getting others to learn and teach it, than anyone else in the world. All around America, I have attended churches that have someone interpreting sermons for the deaf and teaching a class for the deaf. And in most cases, they learned the Sign Language at the Bill Rice Ranch and were taught by Dr. Cathy. I am so glad she has written this book. It is authoritative and important. God bless it." ―the late Dr. John R. Rice, Sword of the Lord Ministries, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
In 1953, the late Bill Rice, along with his wife, Cathy, founded the Bill Rice Ranch in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, as a ministry to deaf individuals. Since then, the Ranch has been the headquarters for ministries reaching the deaf for Christ both in this country and abroad.
The Ranch still maintains camp and conference grounds in Tennessee and in Arizona where deaf young people can attend one of several weeks of camp free of charge. Also, the sign language school that Dr. Rice began continues to train people through classes held at the Ranch each year. Well over eight hundred churches have established deaf ministries as a result of training received at the Ranch.Read Less
- Contributor(s)Cathy Rice
- About the Contributor(s) Bill and Cathy Rice founded the Bill Rice Ranch in 1953 as a ministry to deaf individuals. Since then, the...Bill and Cathy Rice founded the Bill Rice Ranch in 1953 as a ministry to deaf individuals. Since then, the Ranch has become headquarters for the world's largest missionary enterprise dedicated to reaching the deaf for Christ. Every year, twelve hundred deaf young people visit the Ranch for two weeks in the summer free of charge. More than eight hundred churches have established deaf ministries as a result of training received at the Ranch. show more
- Publish Date05/03/2005
- PublisherThomas Nelson
- Format Softcover
- Weight (lbs)0.74 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)26.67 lb
- Dimensions 10.0(h) x 7.13(w) x 0.38(d) inches
- Price $10.49
eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- To access your eBooks, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly in your browser by creating a Glose account using the same email address you use to purchase the eBooks.
- eBooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on this site, click here for our FAQs.