Know the Heretics Video Study: 14 Lessons on 2 DVDs
- Regular price
- Sale price
There is a lot of talk about heresy these days. The frequency and volume of accusations suggest that some Christians have lost a sense of the gravity of the word. On the other hand, many believers have little to no familiarity with orthodox doctrine or the historic distortions of it. What's needed is a strong dose of humility and restraint, and also a clear and informed definition of orthodoxy and heresy. In Know the Heretics Video Study, scholar and author Justin Holcomb provides an accessible "travel guide" to the most significant heresies throughout Christian history.
Each lecture covers a simple explanation of the unorthodox teaching, the orthodox response and a key defender, and reflections of contemporary relevance for application in today's world. As a part of the KNOW series, Know the Heretics Video Study is designed for personal study or classroom use, as well as small groups and Sunday schools wanting to more deeply understand the foundations of the faith.
Session Titles and Runtimes:
1 - Introduction: Why Heresy? (7 min)
2 - Judaizers: The Old Rules Still Apply (25 min)
3 - Gnostics: God Hides Messages for the Enlightened (18 min)
4 - Marcion: Vengeful Yahweh versus Gentle Jesus (20 min)
5 - Docetists: The Spiritual Is Good, the Physical Is Evil (14 min)
6 - Mani: God Must Be Freed (16 min)
7 - Sabellius: One Actor and Three Hats (18 min)
8 - Arius: Jesus Is a Lesser God (16 min)
9 - Apollinarius: Christ May Be Human, but His Mind Is Divine (11 min)
10 - Pelagius: God Has Already Given Us the Tools (16 min)
11 - Eutyches: Christ as a New Kind of Being (13 min)
12 - Nestorius: Christ's Divinity Must Be Shielded (16 min)
13 - Socinus: The Trinity Is Irrelevant and Jesus's Death Is Only an Example (18 min)
14 - Conclusion (7 min)Read Less
- Contributor(s)Justin S. Holcomb
- About the Contributor(s) Justin Holcomb (PhD, Emory University) is an Episcopal priest and a professor of theology and Christian thought at Gordon-Conwell Theological...
Justin Holcomb (PhD, Emory University) is an Episcopal priest and a professor of theology and Christian thought at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Reformed Theological Seminary. He has authored, coauthored, and edited several books, including Know the Heretics. He lives with his wife and daughters in Orlando, Florida.show more
- Publish Date07/09/2019
- PublisherZondervan Academic
- Series KNOW Series
- Format DVD
- Weight (lbs)0.5 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)30.03 lb
- Dimensions 5.0(h) x 5.0(w) x 1.0(d) inches
- Price $20.99
eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- To access your eBooks, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly in your browser by creating a Glose account using the same email address you use to purchase the eBooks.
- eBooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on this site, click here for our FAQs.