Biblical Counseling with African-Americans: Taking a Ride in the Ethiopian's Chariot
- Regular price
- Sale price
This book is a practical and biblical guide for all who engage in counseling African-Americans. Its purpose is to set forth the issues, principles, and interventions of counseling, especially in terms of marriage counseling and family therapy. Clarence Walker provides a framework for the book in the biblical story of the apostle Philip and the Ethiopian charioteer as recounted in the book of Acts. In Walker's view this story involves the same issues that confront African-Americans today. Specifically, in Part 1 Walker sees seven challenges that Philip faces as a "Christian counselor": - Ethnicity . . . - Socio-economics - Gender . . .- Environment - Sexuality . . . - Religion - Power -- Part 2 builds on this foundation to develop ten biblical principles for an effective therapeutic process -- all recognizable in the interaction between Philip and the Ethiopian. These include -- - Directive engaging . . . - Explorative questioning - Affective joining . . . - Positive terminating - Active listening . . . - Cooperative involving -- Part 3 explains biblical techniques for treatment. Five approaches are offered to use with couples, and three are presented for counseling individuals.Read Less
- Contributor(s)Clarence Walker
- About the Contributor(s) Clarence Walker is a licensed marriage and family couselor who holds a PhD in counseling from Trinity Theological Seminary and...Clarence Walker is a licensed marriage and family couselor who holds a PhD in counseling from Trinity Theological Seminary and an MSW from Temple University. He is an ordained minister and the founder-director, with his wife Ja'ola, of Clarence Walker Ministries, a preaching, teaching, and music ministry in Philadelphia. show more
- Publish Date10/22/1992
- Format Softcover
- Weight (lbs)0.31 lb
- Case Weight (lbs)9.33 lb
- Dimensions 8.0(h) x 5.0(w) x 0.4(d) inches
- Font Size Not Applicablept
- Price $8.40
eBooks purchased here are fulfilled by our partner, Glose. Please note that:
- To access your eBooks, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly in your browser by creating a Glose account using the same email address you use to purchase the eBooks.
- eBooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook).
- For more information about how to access eBooks purchased on this site, click here for our FAQs.